- In communication we use a programme known as "Makaton", which is used as a non-verbal way of communicating. It's designed so that someone who lacks verbal speech, can use it to communicate with others more efficiently. "Makaton" features a series of symbols that acts as speech patterns, that are put into spoken word order. It's an important tool because it benefits someone who struggles with speech difficulties, and them gives a means by how they can get their point across.
- Looking at photos of different scenarios which involve emotions. We show them to the Y.A’s and ask them how they think the people in them are feeling. We look at emotions quite a bit. We have made faces showing different emotions using paper plates. We have emotions dominos which is good.
- We have done a lot about ‘ourselves’ Family, likes, dislikes, pets etc.
- Today we did word searches.
- We play games to encourage turn taking and sharing.
- We have looked at Phonics and prepositions.
- We have done activities involving finding missing words.
- We encourage talking to each other and respecting each other’s views and opinions.